Monday 26 March 2012

EAST RIDGE CARN DEARG MEADHONCH, CMD ARETE

The East ridge of Carn Dearg Meadhonach 

The fun begins on the first 'Sharks Fin' as I call it
Looking up to the summit area
The second 'Sharks Fin' with the West face of Aonach Mor behind
The blocks are actually quite solid here!
Looking across to Carn Mor Dearg
Models for the day
The Ben peeping into view
The Ben of course
CMD arete
Looking back  on the CMD arete
Another fantastic day, even warmer, wall to wall sunshine, t shirt weather all day! Is it really March? I keep thinking it's mid summer. So long daylight ahead and fab conditions so I fancied a nice long mountain day. I headed onto the East ridge of Carn Dearg Meadhonach. To get to this fantastic easy scramble I guess most folk take the gondola at Nevis Range but I fancied being puristic ( and save myself over £11 quid!) by starting at the north face carpark and traversing over to the lovely and wild Allt Daim from the Allt a' Mhuillin. I've always had the ridge to myself on every other occasion I've been a long it so it was a surprise to find a couple of other folk just behind me. Anyway, they made excellent models to give the scale of the place and route. The scrambling is wonderful, if a wee bit loose in places but the situation is amazing and quiet with wonderful views. At the summit I carried on over to CMD and the arete, finishing on Ben Nevis for an excellent mountain day. Two more summer days to come!

No comments: