Wednesday 5 September 2012

AN ALTERNATIVE WEST HIGHLAND WAY



Yesterday I opened my goody bag from Berghaus who have very kindly provided me with a top of the range waterproof jacket and an Olympus weatherproof camera as part of my prize for being September's Everyday Adventurer Blogger.  It was so good to be back on the hills today after several days of new house hunting which seemed far more tiring than running around mountainsides! Today was forecast to be a slowly improving picture as the day progressed, but how long is slow? I was dropped off in Glencoe and headed up onto Am Bodach with the intention of having a traverse across the Aonach Eagach on warm rock. It did look promising but by the time I reached the summit the cloud had descended and with it some drizzle. No views then so I quickly changed my plan and headed east along the grassy ridge leading off from Am Bodach's summit with the hope of slightly lower hills and away from the showery weather. After descending only a few metres I was soon out and into sunshine. This was also a small area of the Highlands where my boots have never trodden before. It was indeed a slowly improving day until shortly after disturbing a couple pair of Ptarmigan there was a brief shower which ended the illusion. But the descent down to the top of the Devil's Staircase on the West Highland Way gave fine views of The Mamores and Stob Dearg and then the sun finally broke through to leave a fine, warm and sunny end to the afternoon. So a stroll down to Kinlochleven and home on the bus. A fine 'alternative to The West Highland Way! My new Berghaus jacket wasn't tested to any severe weather but I'm sure there will be a day or two soon to do that!

No comments: