Thursday 16 January 2014

SNOW SHOEING & KIT TESTING

Busy at the Mess of Pottage
Avalanche debris near Alladin's Couloir
Avalanche debris from Wednesday probably

Coire an t-sneachda
The new pac from Orion Pacs
Testing the limits of my snow shoes today!
 
I had a shortish day wandering into Coire an t-sneachda today. I was keen to get out and test a sample pack which Orion Packs had sent me just before Christmas to test out and see how it performed in the Scottish winter. This new company over in the USA have come up with some innovative ideas for carrying Skis and snowboards. Light weight, excellent quality and great fit. I carried my snow shoes which fit perfectly into the Method Pack. It wasn't long before I hit the big areas of deep snow. The temperatures had dropped overnight again after yesterday's warmish weather so the snowpack is firmed up again and a joy to walk on. I got below the Mess of Pottage, many climbers out here in the short time I was there. There are many areas of recent avalanche debris all the way from The Mess of Pottage to Alladin's Couloir area, probably from yesterday. I dug a snow pit and all the layers are still well bonded. We got some sunshine by the middle of the day, after a few light snow showers. So the verdict on the pack, a great light weight and well constructed pack, my snowshoes fitted perfectly and it was a well balanced walk with the snow shoes in. There are lots of areas to stash small items and I managed to get my waterproofs, gloves, hats, survival bag and an extra warm layer in the main zipped pouch, along with a snow shovel, probe, axe and snow saw. If you're interested in looking at one of these pacs here are Orion's details: http://www.orionpacks.com/

No comments: