Wednesday 29 April 2015

BIKING, SUNSHINE, CAPERCAILLE, BIG HAIL

A moody & snowy  Lairig Ghru & Braeriach
Nice biking trails
Typical Capercaille habitat
Big hail in Aviemore later
Many large trees down since I was last up here in February
I made a valiant attempt of getting my annual tax return done this morning. There was only so much sunshine streaming through the window to postpone it and get outside! An afternoon biking on some lovely trails and woodland where the elusive and rare Capercaille hang out. Last time I saw a Capercaille in this forest was December 2013 when I had a wonderful encounter with a male of the species. Today I was so lucky to see a female caper fly straight across my path, not enough time to grab the camera unfortunately. There really isn't anything more obvious has Capercaille, you cannot mistake this big bird for anything else! The clouds darkened this afternoon and the Cairngorm mountains were looking very gloomy on the way back down. A 30 minute graupel (hail stone) shower back in Aviemore. Very unusual weather we are experiencing this last couple of weeks. Heatwave, winter and apparently strong winds forecast next week, we will see!

No comments: