Tuesday 12 March 2019

CRUX AK 47 REVIEW

The Crux AK-47 
I  have been using the Crux AK-47 rucksack all winter, since November. I don't normally write many reviews for outdoor gear that I have paid for, so this must be a good bit of kit!
I've been walking and climbing in the mountains for over 30 years and have owned many rucksacks in that time period. Some good, some bad! I won't name the bad ones.
The key criteria I look for in load carriers are:

  • Simplicity
  • Robustness 
  • Uncomplicated
  • Ease of use
  • Comfort
For my work and play in the mountains I require all of the above. A pack for a day out in winter needs to be a decent size. Minimum 40 litres. Depending on the activity it's usually a bit more than this. The Crux AK-47 is (as the name suggests) 47 litres. These figures of volume do very from manufacturer to manufacturer. Crux have got it spot on with this one. 47 litres is perfect for the extra safety kit I need when guiding folk in winter.
The AK-47 is most definitely aimed at the winter climbing market but it's a perfectly good choice for winter mountain walking /Mountaineering.
Crux is a small UK based company that produces top quality climbing kit. Tents, waterproof shells and rucksacks are their market. I already own their AK-37 which is now well over 10 years old and still going strong, enough said. The new range of AK's are even stronger now and lighter using different materials (ncluding kevlar) over their predecessors. The AK-47 is 'weather proof' and does indeed keep the rain and snow out. An added bonus but not a priority for me. I want a rucksack that is tough, indeed 'bombproof' as they say. I don't want lots of useless and annoying straps cluttering the outside. Box ticked. One of the definite 'musts' when looking what to buy was a fixed volume lid section. I didn't want a movable /volume adjusting top section. This may seem like a good feature but for me they are an absolutely annoying 'fad'. My previous two winter sacks employed this feature but they were poorly designed and did not work. The lid kept moving about and was never secured properly to the main compartment. I vowed never, ever in my lifetime to buy another rucksack like this!
Bombproof and simple

Out on the hills is where it matters. After 3 months of use I am very pleased with the Crux. Nothing on the negative side. Everything surpassed my expectations.
These sacks aren't the cheapest gear but if you are looking for quality, build and something that will last for years then I would highly recommend looking at Crux packs.
https://www.crux.uk.com/category/alpine-rucksacks


No comments: