Wednesday 1 November 2023

WINTER SEASON BEGINS

 

Cairngorm plateau, Tuesday
The first day of November is (in my eyes) the start of the winter season. Short daylight, colder temperatures, more chance of snow with colder air. We've already enjoyed some fine days in snowy conditions. On Monday and Tuesday this week the temperatures lowered again to around minus 3-4 C on the Cairngorm summits. We had a sprinkling  of snow above 1000m and the ground was frozen. The next few days it is forecast to snow and as I write this there is wet snow and sleet falling outside in Aviemore.

Cairn Gorm summit, Monday

Frozen turf and rimed up grass above 900m, Tuesday

Tuesday was a glorious day and I was out photographing the Ptarmigan. It took me over 4 hours to reach this wee guy up at 1100m on the Cairngorm plateau. They are now well into their winter plumgae.

Ptarmigan, Tuesday

My winter courses are now available. Don't leave it too late to book, especially weekend dates. You can see details of all my courses in winter here.

A few more photos fro my last couple of days. Wrap up warm and get the big boots on .

Learn to navigate, paths are vanishing in snow

Cairn Lochan, Tuesday

Lovely sunshine, Tuesday

Cairn Gorm in last rays of sun, Monday

Cairngorm plateau, looking across to Ben Macdui, Tuesday



No comments: