Thursday 14 January 2021

WINTER SUNRISE IN TORRIDON

Early sunlight on Liathach

 I have finally got round to writing up my blog from a recent two day trip in the Glen Carron/Torridon area. With a fine spell of weather forecast and more imminent  restrictions on the horizon I took the opportunity to get a backpacking and photography trip to the finest area in Scotland. 

The magnificent Fuar Toll

I've been wanting to capture sunrise in winter on the 'famous trio' of stunning Torridon mountains for a while now. These 3 mountains are, of course, Beinn Alligin, Liathach and Beinn Eighe. There are many angles to photograph these hills from. One of my favourite viewpoints is from the Munro of Sgorr Dearg.


Sgorr Ruadh & Coire Lair

Sgorr Dearg lies in a marvellous area just to the south of Glen Torridon and is easily accessed from the tiny wee train station at Achnashellach. From here there is one of the finest rights of way which dissects the hills in this area and eventually goes through to Glen Torridon via Coire Lair. 
Sgorr Ruadh

A stunning morning over in the NW Highlands. Travelling from the Eastern Highlands it was low cloud, as forecasted. Just past Achnasheen the skies ahead were clear. Fantastic. The trail in winter is obviously snow covered for much of the season. On my overnight trip I was expecting to be trail breaking with deep snow lying across much of the region down to around 300m. I was thankful that a few folk had walked through previously so a decent trench had been made.


Raeburns Buttress on Fuar Tholl

Even with a well trodden trench it was still laboured walking in shin to knee deep soft snow as the trench became less defined to just the odd footprints plunged in deep snow. I was planning on camping up higher but decided to pitch the tent in a beautiful spot in the upper end of Coire Lair with a fab view below the steep Eastern crags of Sgorr Dearg.

A fine camp spot 

By the time I had a bite to eat and sorted my tent it was 2pm. I wandered up to the lower reaches of the NW ridge of Sgorr Ruadh. By this time the clear skies had become a bit more cloudy but still fabulous views. It was easier going with just a small rucksack but deep, soft snow prevailed. Once you come out of the Coire and onto higher ground you get the first glimpses of the big Torridon peaks. Liathach had cloud clinging to its upper reaches but Beinn Alligin was still clear. I spent a while watching the daylight fade and sun setting.


Sunset on Benn Alligin

Heading back to my tent there was a beautiful last blast of sun on the far end of Beinn Liath Mor, the Munro that lies opposite Sgorr Ruadh on the North side of Coire Lair. A fine end to the day. 

Final Alpenglow on Beinn Liath Mhor

I was expecting a colder night than it actually was. I had my tent porch open whilst cooking and not a breath of wind. I saw a few head torches coming down from Fuar Tholl during the early evening. They were to be the last humans I was to see for 24 hrs. 
The weather forecast was for a similar conditions the following day. I was hoping for it to be correct. I was up and away early next morning. Walking by 6am under clear skies  with a beautiful moon and stars as I made my way up onto Sgorr Ruadhs NW ridge again. The mountains were strikingly clear even in the semi darkness. Beautiful white peaks rising out of the dark glens. At around 900m I got to  my intended photography location. I set up my tripod and camera and watched the day morning unfold

Tripod a must for low light




The Belt of Venus above Liathach

The Belt of Venus above Maol Chean Dearg

Slowly a red and pink colouring in the West and NW skies started to appear. This penomina is named 'The Belt of Venus'. A wonderfully beautiful  scene in the atmosphere, especially noticable in the winter months above snow clad mountains. I ran off a good few camera shots as the colours changed minute by minute.


Alpenglow on Beinn Alligin

Liathach with sun

A mesmerising sight as the sun slowly crept up on the Eastern horizon. The very tips of Liathachs Munro summits suddenly became white in the early sun, followed by Beinn Alligins peaks. Absolutely beautiful. 
Beinn Alligin bahed in early sunshine

Coire Lair

Beinn Alligin, Liathach & Beinn Eighe

The pink glow had gone and now morning sun iluminated all the big Torridon peaks. I slowly made my way to Sgorr Deargs' summit. Always stopping for more photography. It was a wonderful morning to be out alone in this most amazing of places on  our planet in these conditions. 


Fabulous



Beinn Alligin

Am Fasarinen on Liathach

The final steep slopes to Sgorr Ruadh

From the summit I contemplated traversing over and descending a different route. If I did this the views of the Torridon mountains would disappear so I headed back to my tent the same route as my way up. Enjoying the ever changing light in front of me all the way down this fine ridge. The best walking route on this Munro.

Bathed in sunshine


The fabulous NW ridge on Sgorr Ruadh





Torridon village almost in sun

Heading down again

I returned to my tent and it was only midday. So I had a leisurely lunch and plenty of brews. Lingering in the winter sun and beautiful remoteness. Well, not remote but a real sense of wildness. Only a couple of hours back to Achnashellach and I savoured every minute of it.


My tent for lunch

Fuar Tholl








No comments: