Friday 15 January 2021

THE WINTER THAT KEEPS ON GIVING

 

Cloud in Strathspey and sunshine above
What a fabulous snowy first part of winter we are enjoying just now. We have had constantly low temperatures to low altitudes and regular top ups of snow. These regular snowfalls have been to lower slopes. There was a short rise in the temperatures on Thursday but this was short lived, with snow quickly replacing the rain by the evening. A fine day in prospect on Friday so I headed out on my usual local walk from my doorstep.

Sunrise over the Cairngorms 

Friday morning was cold in Aviemore and cloudy. Above 300m I was into clear air and skies. A beautiful sunrise above the inversion layer.
Cloud below, sun above

There was fresh, drifted snow at 450m on the path up. Beautiful drifts and wee cornices on snow banks. 
Morning light

Drifts, no problem for the hares

Mountain Hare tracks




From my front door I can be amongst my favourite mountain animal, the adorable Mountain Hare. I've been visiting a new area over the last couple of weeks to photograph them. With a deep cover of snow higher up they will have a hard time digging down for their food. 


Eyes fixed
The best moments of the day were with 2 hares just a few metres apart. Both had just dug themselves into the level snowfield and lay motionless. The first had his eyes fixed on me from over 100m away and never once took them off me. I made my way in a 180 degree arc to finally get a wonderful position with him just looking directly at me, sitting motionless. So I did exactly the same! After 10 minutes of photographing him I just sat and enjoyed his company. Sometimes you need to put the camera to one side and just relish these moments. 


Poised




 Ice and snow

Sgor Gaoithe well snow covered

It doesn't take too many visits to find out the hares 'Forms'. This is the name given to their living and resting.



Curious

His 'friend' next door sat up and posed a few times for me. Completely at ease the both of them.  What a privilege. 

Fine just here





Speed

Ready to go

Coming out for the sun
 
I left them in peace by early afternoon. More wonderful moments with these guys. The best day with the hares so far this winter.
Fab



..

No comments: