Sunday 11 April 2021

WINTER, MOUNTAIN HARES & RETURN OF THE OSPREY

 

Snow showers & sunshine

FRIDAY 9 APRIL
A fabulous morning here in Strathspey.  Another below freezing night and early morning. Another light dusting of snow down at Aviemore level. Bright sunshine early doors. I set out a bit later to let the road defrost a bit as I was on my bike to get to the hill.

Snowy bike ride to the hill 

The winds were a tad lighter but still very cold, from a NW direction. I saw no one on the hill yet again. Another walk up to my local Mountain Hare, for a change! Of course it's a fabulous walk, not just the wildlife.

A few snow showers passing through 


There was more sun and blue skies than snow showers today. Great conditions for photography.  I was soon amongst the hares. The best spot was with two wonderful creatures. 
A duo of grazing hares

I settled down in the snow and on the lee side of the rocky hillside. For 2 hours I sat  watched and photographed these two guys. It's unusual to spend any length of time when there are two hares together. Usually one of them will get twitchy and take off, the other shortly after. These delightful hares were just happy lazing, stretching, yawning and munching.
Grazing


Lazing


Licking

Yawning

Stretching
Wonderful, priceless moments with nature. This is why photographing these beautiful animals is so addictive. Just magic to be allowed to spend time in their company. 
Heathers better over there


Light snow shower

Time for another nap
I bade farewell to these two just as another shower looked to be heading my way. Once back in the wind it was nippy. Full winter wildlife clothing still a must if you're hanging about on a hillside.
Humans still in thick fur


Another snow shower moving across

Snow still lying above 600m

Afternoon ice at 500m
I headed down the hill as the biggest, longest snow shower was over the hill. Even when I was back to 300m it was snowing and the cloud base was low. By the time I got back on my bike the skies cleared again and lovely sunshine developed.  It was only early afternoon so I decided to cycle up the Strath and see if my local Ospey had arrived back to Scotland for the Summer. 

The Ospreys have landed!

They had! It was lovely to see the pair back to thir usual spot. Well, actually these two are ringed and the usual pair here are not ringed so maybe they've only recently been ringed and tagged? I shall have to make enquiries.
I am very pleased to say that I am now hold a SCHEDULE 1 LICENCE FOR BIRD PHOTOGRAPHY.
This licence is a legal document that allows me to take photographs of Schedule 1 birds near or at the nesting sites, including Osprey. I am also allowed to photograph Dotterel and Snow Bunting. All this information of numbers and locations is invaluable to experts in the field and adds to the database of these endangered species. I'm looking forward to the return of the Dotterel very soon in the Cairngorms and Monadhliath, their stronghold. 
Osprey

Closeby to the Osprey, down on the loch, were Grey Heron (6) Goldeneye, Tufted Duck and a pair of Bewick's Swan.
A grand day out.
Grey Heron

Cairn Gorm from the bike ride home

The ride home.

Spring in Strathspey 




SUNDAY 11 APRIL

Stunning clear skies morning

Another day forecast of sunshine and snow showers. With the morning due to be the best time of day, we set out at 8am. It was a chilly minus 6 C in Aviemore when we set off. The roads were snowy and the trees around town had a dusting too from the overnight showers. Minus 6 C in April is not bad going.
Usual icicles at 460m

Clear skies
Lovely and quiet up on the Monadhliath again. The hares were active and looking great against the clear blue skies.



A duo of beautiful hares

Active today
Just a couple of hours this morning.  Enjoying the fine views and only use two plus half a dozen hares in the snow. It was pretty chilly, despite much lower winds of around 15mph. It could have been any month in Winter. Superb. 
Lovely 

Cloud over the Cairngorms 

Light snowcover at 750m


We headed back down the hill for lunch. The shower clouds steadily building from the West. 

Beautiful markings

Keeping watch



An hour or so after getting home we had a few snow and hail showers. Perfectly timed. 
Clouds building 

Braeriach 

Tomorrow looks like a cracking day. 
Hail in Aviemore 

Never the size of Golfballs ;)


No comments: