Friday 26 November 2021

FIRST OF THE WINTER STORMS

 

Beinn Avon & Beinn a Bhuird, Wednesday 
The first of this seasons snow storms arrived today across much of the Highlands. There is snow falling to Aviemore level along with high winds as I sit in the warmth of my house. Not a day for the hills today! Of course to get good winter conditions on the mountains we need a few stormy, snowy days. I was out on Wednesday and Thursday this week. 


WEDNESDAY 24 NOVEMBER
I set out for the Cairngorm plateau today. After a dry start there were some hefty snow showers on the Westerly winds. The ski goggles were donned for the first time this winter. There was a few bright spells but a lot of cloud. Poor visibility higher up.

Plumes of cloud over the Cairngorm plateau 

Above 1100m I needed these

Rime on Cairn Gorm weather station 

The freezing levels had dropped a notch, probably about minus 2 C on Cairn Gorm summit but feeling much colder in the 40mph winds. My camera was getting rimed up and the visibility was poor when any snow showers came through. 

Nature is wonderful 

Drifting snow and a bright spell

Shelter on Eastern aspects

Wind and rime ice

THURSDAY 25 NOVEMBER 

It's amazing the difference of a calmer day can make. With just a gentle 20mph in the Monadhliath and with a high cloudbase it made wildlife photography a joy today.

My friend sitting pretty

Some bright spells today 

Well sheltered in the heather 

The overnight snow had come to lower levels. A light dusting above 400m on the Monadhliath. It was a lovely morning to be out. I met one of the mountain hares I have been photographing since the summer. He is still in his transition stage of morphing into a white coat. I love the colours of their fur at this stage. There are a couple of other hares about who are almost completely white now.

Keeping a look out for each other

Licking his lips

Winter is here
I'm looking forward to another Winter with the hares. Last winter was exceptional for snow and for the amount of time I spent photographing these beautiful creatures. On average 4 days every week. I can't see me doing the same this winter as we are 'back to normal' after Covid travel restrictions. I've got a busy period ahead with lots of guiding,   winter skills courses and snow showing trips this coming season. My Mountain Hare photography workshops are getting popular and have a few of these running for Winter  2022.
Short days

Hare highway

First signs of the Storm 

Looking forward to seeing how much snow will be on the hills after the winds abate. Staying cold and snowy right through till at least mid week next week. A great start to winter.

I still have some of my Torridon Landscape calendars & Mountain Hare calendars. You can order via email or on my Facebook page. 







No comments: