Wednesday 13 April 2022

WINTER' S FINAL BLAST?

 

My friend shaking off a snow shower, Friday 8th April

THURSDAY 7 APRIL
Another cold period last week with constant snow showers and some strong, northerly winds for several days. We had a fresh dusting of snow lying at Aviemore level on a couple of mornings. High up on the Cairngorms this gave a topping up of the already extensive 'old snow' cover. Monday and Tuesday the cold air and snow didn't get as far south and east as was first suggested. It was rain on the tops. By Wednesday this had changed quite a bit. Fresh snow to lower levels right, through till the weekend.

Monadhliath, 500m. 7th April
THURSDAY 7 APRIL
On Thursday I set out to capture the mountain hares in the hope of some images with a covering of fresh snow. A challenging day with 30mph+ winds and poor visibility as frequent snow showers blew through. To capture good images you need to get out in every kind of winter weather & conditions. I was hoping for some snow covered hares with all the snow and wind blowing about. 

Mountain Hare putting up with the snow showers

Checking those toes

Everything fine in the world

I spent over 5 hours in snow showers and drier, brighter periods. One guy who is almost as comfortable as my usual 'friend' was very accommodating. The snow showers nothing for these though cookies. 

FRIDAY 8 APRIL

Another day forecasted for snow showers and some sunshine. I was keen to get up with the hares again in the hope of a snow covered hare. I almost timed it right. My 'friend' was hunkered behind a boulder with a snow drift over him. Just as the snow eased off and the sun came out he decided to give himself a shake off.

Snow covered

Shake off

Next time
The winds were down a notch and the snow showers were less frequent. When they did pass through it was poor visibility and cold. You have to suffer for your art!

Suns out

Not sure



Hiding and shelter places

Good areas of fresh snow above 600m
I seemed to have gained another wee 'friend'. This guy is well into his Spring pelage. He seems small so I am wondering if he is a 1 year old. I hope so.  I saw no leverets last Spring. This guy may have escaped my attention. Another wonderful character and very photogenic. I spent the rest of te afternoon photographing this wee chap close by.

What a face

Excellent poser

Well into his Spring pelage

SATURDAY 10 MARCH

The high mountains looking a bit cloudy and breezier today. We opted for somewhere obscure, away from the snow showers and wind and away from crowds. We saw no one all day. Maybe because we were on a 500m summit and not a Munro?
Looking south to the Cairngorms in heavy snow showers
We had a few snow and graupel showers but most of the day was sunny. Some great wildlife sightings.

Pink Footed Geese

Lapwing

Oystercatcher in a snow shower

Pink Footed Goose

Redshank, Oystercatcher & Pink footed Goose in a single frame
Dava Moor is a fine place to get away from the crowds. We only saw wildlife.

A distant Meall a' Bhuachaille

SUNDAY 11 APRIL

Back with the hares! With temperatures forecast to rise into the next week this was possibly my ast chance to photograph the hares in snow this winter. The sun was wonderful, much more than what was forecasted and no wind. Today I just had 4 light weight layers on rather than the normal 3-4 heavy duty layering in winter.


Fresh snow, fresh hare prints

Snow shapes

Lairig Ghru & Ben Macdui
At an altitude of 700-850m metres the snow will be melting away quickly so this probably a final day to capture some images of the hares in snow.
What a difference from the two previous days. It was a beautiful day to be sitting on the ground and photographing the hares. I soon found my friend, not at his usual form, he was in a sunny position with rocks and snow for protection.
I've been photographing this wonderful guy all winter. Today I was gobsmacked how relaxed he was. He was lazing around outstretched in the sun and dozing only 3 metres away from me for much of the 4 hours I spent in his company.
What a privilege that this hare is so comfortable around me and has been all winter.

Lazing in the sunshine

So chilled

Comfortable


The only sounds were the geese flying overhead, there were flocks every hour or so. What a beautiful sight and sound.

Geese in formation

Cairn Gorm in full winter garb

The high Cairngorms across the strath were looking splendid. They got more snow cover than most of january. As you well know we have more chance of getting snowfall on Easter Day than on Christmas Day. Fact. Although it's looking quite warm the next few days so these images may well be the last good snow we will have this season. But who knows what's in store. Winter is never over until the end of April! I will leave you with some wonderful images of my friend. What a day.

Waking up and yawning

Stretch

A clean up

What next?

Feet looking good

Back to sleep






No comments: