Thursday 26 January 2012

NO.4 GULLY, BUSY BEN NEVIS

The Comb and Ciste Corrie, looking proper wintry again
Climbers in North Gully, No.4 Gully to the right
Half way up No. 4
The place to myself until shortly after this shot
A few folk heading down
The top, no cornice problems
After the mini intense thaw yesterday it was back to cold and snowy conditions today. Surprisingly there had been quite a bit of fresh snow overnight, down to 500m with  a few cm's higher on the mountain. I headed up to No.4 Gully on The Ben today, the first time this year. There were lots of folk all over the north face today so I thought I had the place to myself  when I started up the gully. There was some soft wind slab in places but higher up beyond the narrows it was all windblown. I was just enjoying the peace and enjoying breaking trail when 5 folk abseiled down into the gully. There is no cornice problem's (today) but there was a steady fall of snow for a couple of hours.

No comments: