Saturday 6 April 2013

PINNACLE GULLY, SHELTER STONE CRAG, ANOTHER STUNNING ALPINE DAY :)

The Shelter Stone Crag
The Shelter Stone & Pinnacle Gully
Top of Castle Gates Gully & Carn Etchacan
Nearing the top of Pinnacle Gully with the obvious Forefinger Pinnacle
Loch Avon basin and Shelter Stone to the right
Looking down, mine the only prints :)
Looking east from the gully
I was pleased I made my own weather forecast today by looking out the window and going by what has happened in the last few days- blue, blue skies! I wandered over toward the Loch Avon basin and fancied climbing Pinnacle Gully which lies to the side of the marvellous Shelter Stone Crag, what a wonderful position. The route down from the plateau to Loch Avon is amazing, normally this time of year there would be running water from the Feithe Buidhe & Uisge Beag but at the moment it is just heavy snow cover. When I got to the foot of the gully I was so pleased as completely untrodden. The snow was wonderful and a great, if awkward finish on some ice and rocks ( I took the right hand branch from the Pinnacle). A couple of skiers went down just as I was topping out, the only folk I saw since leaving the Cas area. A stunningly beautiful day, no winds and another glowing face!

No comments: