Wednesday 15 June 2016

GEAR REVIEW, IT MUST BE A WET DAY!

Non stop rain here in Aviemore for over 30 hours. A good time to get some office work done! Also a review on boots. The last few weeks I have been trying out the relatively new La Sportiva Trango TRK GTX.
For me there are only two brands of boots I wear and have been for many years. Scarpa and La Sportiva. Quality craftsmanship, good grip, combined with excellent fit are the essentials for me. Over the years I have had several pairs of the excellent Trango S Evo. This is a great boot for scrambling and it even takes a C2 crampon, although I never used them for Scottish winter days. Perfect for glacier crossings & Via Ferrata on the continent but for me a bit overkill for walking and trekking.
The new Trango TRK GTX is an even lighter boot, less stiff and obviously by it's name is aimed at the trekking market. Even though they are in the hiking and trekking category, they still have good technical features. The last is similar to the Evo and the upper materials a strong and tough to cope in a variety of terrain. Right from the word go they felt super comfy, always a good sign from a boot. They feel like I am wearing a pair of slippers and I must say they are probably the most comfortable boots I have ever had.
They are made of completely synthetic materials and from first sight they look a bit plasticy and even 'cheap' looking. But looks are deceptive and the materials are of excellent quality. The sole of this boot is similar to the Trango Evo, it even has a climbing zone at the toe area. With an excellent rubber rand around most of the boot for protection in rough conditions. They look very different from your usual traditional boot, even radical some may say. Definitely eye catching in either bright yellow or red.
I've been using this boot in the Scottish hills on rocky scrambles, snow, wet rocks and long walks on easy tracks. They cope brilliantly and still feel like those slippers when I first tried them on! My initial thoughts on the clear 'plastic looking' material were that they will easily get damaged, but they look as good as new with no tears or scuffs. With a Goretex membrane they are getting a good test in our current soggy weather conditions. Now for a river crossing or two :)
Well worth checking out. LA SPORTIVA, TRANGO TRK GTX
The Trango TRK GTX, excellent grip for scrambling

Ok for the odd patch of snow

No comments: