Monday 8 June 2020

QUIET HILLS

Coire an t-sneachda 
It was a fine day to be out on the hills. Almost no wind on the Cairngorms and bags of sunshine in the afternoon.  I cycled up from the house again to Coire Cas carpark. Full hill kit and 3kg of camera gear. I may not be the fastest biker from Aviemore to the top carpark but I reckon I'm the only one with a big rucksack going up several times per week! On the ride up I spotted 2 Cuckoo at just under 600m on the final Scots Pines before the carpark.
Sun in the corrie

Rose root in full bloom

Lingering snow by the Goat Track
I walked into a deserted Coire an t-sneachda.  By mid day the clouds lifted and some fab sunshine. My usual route up from here to gain the Fiacaill Coire sneachda is always a joy, summer and winter. No ptarmigan here today but I heard the distant Snow Bunting calling from the cliffs.
Fiacaill Buttress 

On the ridge

Always fun
Very enjoyable scrambling soon brings you onto the plateau. I was expecting it to feel much colder as forecast was for single figures on the tops. With the full sun and no wind it felt lovely.
Cliffs of Coire an Lochain 

Snow on the Great Slab shrinking

A distant Braeriach 
There were a couple of Snow Bunting on the cliffs. No ptarmigan seen today sadly. I wandered over the plateau to Cairn Gorm. Lovely in the warm sun.
Coire an t-sneachda and Cairn Gorm

Fiacaill Coire sneachda 

Beinn Mheadhoin 

View from Cairn Gorm
A stroll down Windy Ridge and the fun blast back down the ski road on the bike. Beautiful early evening light.
Loch Morlich 

Fun ride down

Beautiful ride and scenery

Loch Morlich, windless

No comments: