Thursday 29 April 2021

MY WINTER WITH THE MOUNTAIN HARES

 

How could you not love them?

Another winter season has come to an end for the Mountain Hare. The toughest time of year they will have endured. A long period of harsh weather conditions high up in the hills and mountains from November to the end of March. Humans can go into the high ground for a few hours and battle through storm, blizzards, knee deep snow and low temperatures. That's easy, they come home to a warm house and dry off. Comfortable in front of  our synthetic heat. What of the Mountain Hare? Day after day of conditions so harsh that most animals, including homo sapiens, would never survive. Only a few hardy species of mammal and birds live permanently in the Scottish mountains. The amazing mountain hare is one of them.

This is my story in images and words of winter 2020/2021 spent with these adorable creatures. It is a winter I will remember for a long time. Covid-19 restrictions were tough for me having no guiding work all season. It did  have its blessings. It is the longest period I have spent in the company of Lepidus Timidus. For the entire winter I have been regularly photographing the mountain hare here in my local Monadhliath and Cairngorm mountains. With no work on the hill (because of client travel restrictions) I set myself a project. An enormously pleasing project and one that combines four passions in my life. Wildlife, Winter, Mountains and Photography.  On average I spent four days per week, every week, for the best part of 6 months out on the hills with just their company. What a privilege. 

It is not 'luck' to be rewarded with the photographs I obtained. It is long periods of time walking up hills and mountains seeking out where they live and roam. Many years of research, fieldcraft and hours, upon hours of coming home 'empty handed'.

Here are just a handful of my favourite moments captured in photographs from November until the end of April. The images are only the final outcome of my days on the hill. It is the memories and the experience to spend so much time in close proximity with these beautiful creatures. Something most people will never do in their lifetime.

I think I can safely say my winter with the mountain hares was the best.

MY WINTER WITH THE MOUNTAIN HARES

NOVEMBER 

High altitude, first snows

I am often asked what makes the Mountain Hare change colour from its Autumn pelage into its white coat. It has little to do with when the first snows fall or even snow lying on the ground. Their change is triggered by length of daylight and specific hormones. Every hare is individual as to when they start morphing into their beautiful white coat. This guy I found high up near Cairn Gorm summit at an altitude of over 1100m. The hardiest of them all. His markings looking stunning in the light of early winter.

Pure white, except his ears

The above hare a perfect example of their change into winter mode. No snow lying here. I photographed him 1 week later than his friend in the first image. A full winter pelage. This lovely wee fella was so sleepy he didn't even move. The hares don't normally like being in open ground with no camouflage. More often than not they will run! My 'first' all white hare of the season. Before this image was taken I had spent the best part of the day seeing no hares at all. Never give up!

Ice, sun and mountain hare 

This beautiful hare I had been researching up high near Cairn Gorm summit. After many outings I had discovered where his 'form' was. It is believed that the hares have used specific forms for generations. Unlike Rabbits (their distant cousins) they do not live in burrows. Instead a form created  for their resting and living place, just a spot on the ground. In this case a boulder strewn area where they will get shelter from the rocks. I love the back-lit background and the wonderful rime ice on this image. Shot at a height of around 1200m. One of the high altitude hares.

DECEMBER
Late afternoon light

This photograph was taken very late in the afternoon on an early December day in the Monadhliath. I had been out for a few hours with some reasonable photos I was happy with. There was only 20 minutes or so of available light left and this lovely creature posed nicely for me.

Hare in a whiteout

Getting reasonable images also depends a great deal on weather of course. Good light is always desirable. I went up the hill with optimistic expectations on this particular day. A poor forecast of low cloud. There was plenty of lovely snow on the ground. Those two conditions produce poor visibility to walk and navigate, never mind photographing. I was walking in thick cloud and virtual whiteout conditions when this chap was suddenly surprised at seeing me. It took him a few seconds to actually figure out which way to run! So he just lingered a while as I was obviously no threat.

Deep snow
By mid December we we're getting some wonderful snow conditions. Lots of it! Even down to Aviemore level. My usual area to visit the hares up on the Monadhliath was completely covered in a blanket of deep snow. Like every other creature on our planet the hares need to eat to survive. Their diet consists of mainly heather and whatever meagre grasses are about. Rather than constantly dig into snow for food they will naturally come to lower elevations to find an easier food supply. I had found a new area to photograph them at around 500m where the heather was easier to get at for them. In wildlife photography one has to think like the species. This wee guy I spotted seemed quite content in his deep snow hole. A good lookout spot.

Beautiful light and snow
This shot was taken just as the sun was dipping below the horizon on, close to the Winter Solstice. At 2.30pm the beautiful light illuminated this wee beauty. Light is everything in photography and I just caught the scene perfectly. To convey the hare and its surroundings is a photographers challenge.

Two hares

Spending time with one individual hare is precious.  Getting two together is fantastic. Usually one of the hares will get a bit twitchy and bolt, the other following suit. Getting them together for any length of time is special. Another day of low angled light with less than an hour before too much shadow casts a spell on the magic.

Those eyes are fixed
With so much snow around the hares will usually dig out a wee hollow for their 'form'. This hollow serves two purposes. Hiding from any predator and shelter out of high winds. I spotted this guy quite late. I had my sights on another hare some 50m beyond this wee fella. I was approaching slowly with my binoculars fixed on the more distant hare. Then I was suddenly aware of this beautiful creature about 5 metres away. His eyes never left me.  The texture of the snow in this shot was perfectly beautiful too.

JANUARY

Snow no problem 
A day of snow showers can achieve some nice images. This shot on the Monadhliath was taken just as the sun disappeared and a snow shower started. Holding a big lens in even a moderate wind can be challenging. I never use a tripod for wildlife photography. You need to be able to react quickly. A bulky tripod is just too much hassle, and a lot of noise!

Enjoying the sun
This particular hares 'form' I had found a week or so previous. Tucked away under a peat hag and a burn flowing in front with a steep drop. A tricky spot to access. After a few attempts I found the best approach route. You will hardly ever get a photograph of a hare if you approach from behind them. I spent over 1 hour with this lovely creature. I think both of us were enjoying the winter sun.

Poor light and heavy snow showers

Keeping your camera and lens clear of snow is a tricky business, especially if there's a breeze blowing. Another session where I thought the weather may impede any chances of  decent photographs. I spotted this guy just sitting enduring shower after shower of snow. I sat with this hare after 30 minutes of slow approaching. I was with him for over 1 hour, completely at ease with me.

Hare in fresh snow and gorgeous light
You may think it's harder to spot hares in winter? White hare, white snow. The big giveaway clues are their footprints, especially after a recent dump of snow. For the photographer it can be hard work walking in knee deep snow. No problem for the hare.

Running
There's no finer sight in the hills than watching the speed of the mountain hare as they run up and down the hillside.  Our fastest mammal we have in the UK. Sometimes it's just a joy to put the camera down and watch. Sometimes you can capture a moment as they jump and sprint across the snow. It doesn't matter.

Snow building up
Another view of my 'tricky to photograph' form. By mid January the snow here had accumulated to some depth. The hare by now had made a fine snow cave for hiding and shelter. Only in the very harshest of conditions will they sit inside. They much prefer to see what's going on in their world. The footprints a giveaway to their comings and goings.

Nothing like a good stretch 
Half of their time is spent resting, sitting and dozing. They prefer not to waste precious energy running about. They need all the energy for when real danger from a predator does appear. All that sitting about does get too much of course. Just like humans a good stretch after lazing is wonderful. 

4 in a row
Getting multiple hares in one photograph frame is a treat. Hares spend a lot of time in solitude. So when you get two or more together it's fabulous. To get 4 like this is very special. To get 4 in blue skies and sunshine and deep snow cover is even more wonderful. 

What's on his mind?
This winter was a brilliant one for deep snow cover. On many occasions I had spotted the hares on flat ground where they had also dug into the snow. This shot took me over 40 minutes to achieve from first sighting to up close and personal. I crawled along,  approaching only a metre or so every five minutes. He had his eyes fixed on me but I was obviously no threat at all. Its precious moments like this when you really connect with animals. What was he thinking? Questions we will never, ever know.

After the blizzards
One shot I was trying to achieve this winter was a snow covered mountain hare. To capture this you need to go out on a 'bad' day of snowfall of course. On this particular day in mid January it was well below freezing at Aviemore level with heavy snow all morning and into the first part of the afternoon. The weather forecast suggested an hour or so of brightness just before dusk. Maybe this was the day? I set out mid afternoon, knowing exactly how long I usually take to reach this particular form. Hoping that the sun would come out and, of course, if there was a hare resting there. Timed to perfection.  I found my hare who had quite obviously been sitting in the open taking a full snow storm. I wasn't expecting him to be caked in snow and ice. A perfect moment in time and just 30 minutes of light left.
 
Eyes open but no threat

Still he's not shaken that snow off!

FEBRUARY

Beautiful light

By the end of January and into February we were right in the middle of the winter season. The hares all beautiful with full winter coats and many days of bright sun and completely clear skies. Early February there were many days were the temperatures were well below freezing on the hills and in the glens. This was to be the finest period for me as a photographer with the hares. I had moved to yet another area. This was because we had so many ski tourers out on the hills and one popular route that skiers came through was disturbing the hares. I found peace again amongst them in a bit of the hillside that was so beautiful and quiet.

Portrait of a hare

Such a memorable period. Many days sitting in snow with close up encounters of my favourite animal on the hills. Everything came together perfectly. This was just superb. The finest days were 8th and 9th February. Perfection.

Intimate moments

No running, just a slow walk

A scratch in the sun

MARCH

Even brighter sun and deep blue skies

My usual place up higher had, by March, become a bit less snowy. The skiers had gone and the hares had moved back up the hill to higher elevations. Sometimes you can achieve the best shots from the very first sightings of the hares. This handsome hare was sheltered from a cold breeze and drifting snow. I sat below in a hollow to get him with the azure skies in the background. I never 'cheat' with photography. Seems the latest craze is to photoshop a desired background colour or scene behind wildlife. How bizarre. The above photo is the real deal.

Cairngorms Hare

One of my favourite places to photograph the hares is up high in the Cairngorm corries. It was here that I really started to take my mountain hare photography seriously and did lots of research a few years ago. Funnily enough, on this day, with this shot, I was actually looking for Ptarmigan. Wildlife will always come up trumps and surprise you. This fella sunbathing and curious about me. That's what I like to think anyway!
Love a happy hare

Back in the Monadhliath the snow cover was disappearing with the much warmer spell of weather by early-mid March. The hares are still in their full winter pelage of course. They must find camouflage amongst whatever snow patches are around or amongst the boulders and rocks, if there are any in the area. This lovely individual that I spent over 2 hours with was happy just sitting in the bare heather. He was obviously very relaxed with me and no threat. A major part of the fieldcraft is to gain the hares trust. He was dozing most of the time then eventually he woke up with a big yawn. I like to think it's a big happy yawn.
The changing face

Come mid to late March many of the hares are starting to morph into their Spring pelage. Usually their faces are the first and most obvious part of their body to see this. They are so full of character at this period in the year. Another hare I spent over an hour in her company. Happy to sit beside her and just photograph. 

APRIL
Warm sunshine

April and the days are much longer, more time to spend with the hares! Some folk may think it is spring in the glen but up high it is still winter. The hares are in their 'halfway' stage. Perfect camouflage with the patches of snow and patches of heather. When the temperature nudges up a few degrees they can maybe enjoy a bit of warmth? It's a time of feeding up and mating. I'd spotted a few pairs about on this day. Sometimes it is not obvious between a male and female. The Female is slightly larger.

Feeding up, perfect camouflage

Motionless amongst the perfect colouring

Throughout the course of a year you get to know individual hares. This time of year probably even easier to identify with their unique markings. Of course these markings in their pelage will change rapidly from day to day as the long winter finally draws to an end.

More wonderful yawning

My last few images of this particular hare and he is well into the 'halfway' stage. It is not unique to see a hare that is halfway into spring and another that is still virtually white side by side. 

Still a lot of 'white' at 19th April


Delicate walking through the rocks



Winter over for another year

So that was my winter spent with these remarkable creatures. The hares are, of course, beautiful to see and photograph all year round. It is the winter season that I anticipate most of all. Come October time and I'll once again be witnessing their subtle changes for the season ahead. The summer season is short. It won't be long before winter comes around once again and they will  be preparing for more harsh weather. The weather and climate change maybe the biggest threat to these beautiful animals. Less days of snow on the ground and predators will be lurking. How will they cope with our ever changing climate? These creatures have been around for thousands of years and have survived through many climatic changes. 
Maybe it is man and man's attitude to land use that is the mountain hares biggest threat?


No comments: