Friday 10 September 2021

SNOWY OWL IN THE CAIRNGORMS

 

The beautiful Snowy Owl
Every few years a very special species of Arctic bird decides to pay the Cairngorms a visit. The beautiful Snowy Owl is a bird that is usually found in more Arctic latitudes. So when one or two decide to pay us a visit it is a very special thing to see. The last recorded visit from a Snowy Owl in the Cairngorms was 2013. I've roamed the Cairngorms over many years and always in the hope of seeing this beautiful creature. On Wednesday I got to see one for the first time. What an absolute privilege.

He winked for me!

In flight

I had some great local info of various sightings, the first  about a week ago. For 3 consecutive days out across the Cairngorm plateau I searched and looked, no luck. On my fourth consecutive visit I finally got to find him. What a sight. Perched amongst the Cairngorms granite and looking very at home in the Arctic Tundra landscape that is the Cairngorms. I spent 30 minutes with this beauty. 


What a sight
Unfortunately someone else appeared, a human. Despite the fact he could see I was crouched down and photographing him, this guy started chatting away to me. That was it. The beautiful owl took flight. I wonder how long I would have had with this Snowy Owl if that hadn't happened? We will never know. 
A wonderful experience.
How long will he stay? Who knows? If the weather gets colder soon then maybe, just maybe he will hang around a wee bit longer. I for one will definately be wandering back to see him very soon.


Stunning


No comments: