Friday 20 August 2021

HEATHER IN BLOOM

Looking fine in the sun

 I was out photographing my local Monadhliath Mountain Hares this morning. Some beautiful early morning light. For a change I was out walking by 8am. There was some lovely moments when the cloud burned off the high Cairngorms. I had the hillside to myself. Early mornings are always good for that.

Cloud breaking over the Cairngorms

The heather is now looking quite wonderful in the lower reaches of the hills and in the Strath. Another week and it will be at its most colourful I think.

Ling and Scots Pines

Cloud burning off

Nice contrasting colours

There were still one or two Wheatear about. It won't be long before they'll be on their way back home to Northern Africa. Delightful birds. 

Wheatear are still about
Numbers of mountain hare in my local area have been very low since the Spring/early Summer heatwave. I've not seen any leverets this year either. Very disappointing and worrying. Have they suffered in the drought like conditions? So today I was happier as I spotted at least 6 hares, all looking fine in the beautiful light.
Two is nice

There were actually 3 together 

My first sightings of a couple of hares were lower down the hill. They were a bit twitchy.  Higher up I spotted 3 close to each other. Always nice. It wasn't until.I crawled a little closer that I saw a third hare tucked into his form and just his eyes and ears poking up. Wonderful.
Almost sat on the heather 

This one too

Next time
One image I am trying to capture this time of year is a hare sat close to the beautiful blooming heather. I didn't quite manage it today, almost. Next time.


Stunning colours 

Heather, Sphagnum and Cloudberry
This time of year when summer colours start fading into Autumn tones is always special. It was definitely a tad cooler higher up the hill. First time for a while I was wearing 3 layers, warm hat and gloves. Summer is almost at its end. I'm looking forward to clearer skies, crisp mornings and some beautiful light for photography.

More heather 

Subtle changes in leaf

Green hills on the change



No comments: