Wednesday 4 May 2022

END OF WINTER FOR THE MOUNTAIN HARES

 

Hi four

I've been photographing this particular Mountain Hare all the way through this winter season. In a period of time when, sadly, the hares are at their lowest numbers since living memory. This guy gave me hope that they will recover. We've watched each other at close quarters from November right up to today, several days per week, every week. I've watched his pelage gradually morph into it's beautiful white fur in late November last year. I've seen him in deep white snow as he's scraped away to create his form. I've seen him hiding behind boulders, sheltering from stormy conditions while I've sat on the cold snow. I've watched him on snowless ground back in January, looking so vulnerable. I've sat on warm March ground in glorious sunshine for 4 hours a day when he sunbathed.

What a face

Today the last of his white coat is falling away. He was up to his usual yawning, scratching and high 4. Often a wee cheeky tongue. The next time I will see him he will be well and truly in his Spring coat.

His winter is over, just like mine.

November, only 7 months away.

Lets hope he's managed to find a mate and some leverets on the scene this Spring.

I've named him: Mo Charaid. It is, of course, a gaelic name.

Nearly transformed 


It was a fine day with some sunshine and great cloudscapes. I saw no human beings all day, only our wonderful wildlife. 

The Northern Cairngorms 



In the afternoon I headed back down to the bike and cycled over to the usual Osprey that I've been observing on a regular basis. They've recently just arrived from Africa, like every year, to nest. Always at the same site. It was lovely to see the pair of them. 

* GARY HODGSON HOLDS A PHOTOGRAPHY LICENCE FOR SCHEDULE 1 BIRDS

The Osprey, wonderful


Of course I take my photography of any sensitive wildlife at a safe distance so not to disturb them. The photos are heavily cropped. 

Between the hill and lower altitudes I saw plenty of other wonderful bird life including Stonechats. These are such wonderful wee characters, always darting about and beautiful song.

Male Stonechat

Female Stonechat

Male in flight
Some 'game' birds are also wonderful. I spotted this rather elegant and colourful Male Pheasant in his full breeding plumage.
Looking very dapper

Showing off

Spring is in full swing!

Primrose

Wood Anemone

Cuckoo Flower

I heard at least half a dozen Cuckoo throughout my day. I'll capture one on camera, one day!

Bee on Bearberry flowers
Peacock Butterfly
Even in the garden & down the road the air is full of birdsong. Brilliant.











No comments: