Monday 22 November 2010

SOUTH GULLY, STOB BAN

The excellent cold and dry spell is continuing. Today I headed up into South Gully on Stob Ban. This is a great wee Grade 1 gully on the East face of the mountain and the gully comes into condition quickly being well sheltered. The snow on the approach was a bit awkward, the 'ministry of funny walks' kind of terrain but as soon as I got into the gully proper it was frozen snow all the way, fabulous conditions. There is a steeper section at the top but there is usually no cornice at the finish, in fact there was more of a cornice just as you reach the summit area. I had the whole mountain to myself, there wasn't a sole in the car park before or when I returned. The high cloud broke up during the day and some lovely bright spells in the afternoon. It was noticeably colder on the bike back down Glen Nevis on the way home. Looks set to be clear and colder as this week goes on. Crampons, I reckon, will be essential if heading up any Munros this week.

No comments: