Sunday 22 November 2020

SNOW FOR THE SNOW HARE

 


Very slowly we are creeping into winter. There was further light snow showers in the Cairngorms overnight and into today. On the Monadhliath there was a few cm's of snow down to around 700m with some ankle depth snow in some small drifts. Despite a forecast of strong winds I decided to head up onto the hill for some photography with the hope the hares would be in snow, for the first time this season. I wasn't disappointed. 


The winds were in fact not strong at all up to about 800m. The Mountain Hare will always favour lee slopes to protect themselves from strong winds, even more so in winter. Inbetween snow showers there were some nice sunny intervals. Even in the showers it was wonderful seeing the hares as the snow blew across the hillside.

As always I went to my well trodden areas with the hope of seeing familiar friends. Sure enough I had one of the hares sitting pretty amongst the shelter of the boulder field and snow. A big snow shower had just come through and I was hoping the Hare hadn't shaken off the snow from itself. In fact the snow had melted and there were beautiful water droplets off his fur and whiskers. Beautiful. Then 20 minutes of bright sun. Perfect!



Some lovely moments standing with one particular Hare.. I had 4 layers on and within 30 minutes I was getting chilly. These creatures are something else. They live in this environment. Amazing. I said my farewell and headed down the hill as another snow shower swept across. The high Cairngorms were in cloud for much of the day.



Back at lower altitudes it was still Autumn and the trees were just beautiful in the late afternoon sun. 




No comments: