Sunday 6 December 2020

DEEP, FULL SNOWCOVER IN THE CAIRNGORMS

 

A day out in The Northern Cairngorms. Much better conditions than expected, although there was a couple of hours of near whiteout at time along the North ridges of Cairn Gorm. Deep snow of ankle to shin category. Hard work trail breaking if no one has put in a trail for you.



The compass came out today on the featureless plateau of Cnap Coire na Spreidhe. I had the place to myself until reaching the top ski tows when I suddenly came upon many ski tourers enjoying the full winter conditions. I quickly avoided their routes and escaped into solitude again. You can very easily do this here in the Cairngorms, it's so vast.




Early afternoon the cloud broke and some mesmerising cloud formations, layers of cloud and blue skies. The sun always struggling to get above the top cloud layer but when it did it was glorious. 





I eventually got to the top of Cairn Gorm, taking a devious, quiet route. Reaching the summit later in the afternoon, avoiding the skiers.  It was a lot easier work coming down than going up! A beautiful sunset across to Meall a' Bhuachaille.  I think the snow shoes will be coming with me tomorrow. :)
How can anyone NOT like the mountains in winter?





No comments: