Friday 18 December 2020

UNSETTLED AND WARMER

 


Bright, sunny and cold days have been very few and far between this winter. It's early days for sure but we would normally enjoy a few days of these kind of conditions in December. Yesterday the unsettled theme ocontinued. The weather forecast was indicating some bright weather in the afternoon. I set out to check on the Mountain Hares and my favourite area to go. 


A dry morning with the high Cairngorms out of the cloud so it did looked promising. This only lasted till about noon when the cloud descended to below 600m where I was on the Monadhliath. Later on fine drizzle turned to proper rain. I walked to my usual spots in thick cloud and was getting wet. Not great for any Hare images. Just has I was about to give up and head down the clouds cleared, it dried up and I was greeted by a fine looking hare just sitting nicely. 


A fine end to the day then. It was a beautiful last hour of daylight with the sun at a low angle and some beautiful light. The snow has slowly retreated up the hills this week with the mild temperatures. Still reasonable cover above 900m. A good cold snap would be very welcome.




No comments: