Thursday 23 June 2022

CAIRNGORMS WILDLIFE

 

Fiacaill Buttress 
Last week I was down in Corsica for a week long trip. More on that in my next blog.

Back home in the Cairngorms it was a beautiful day in the Northern Cairngorms. Wall to wall sun and a perfect breeze for lovely temperatures up high.

Steep scrambling 

Fiacaill Coire Sneachda to myself 

Coire an Lochain 

Fine day for climbing 

Had a great scramble up the Fiacaill Coire Sneachda ridge,  starting off in the steep boulderfields of Coire an t-sneachda to gain the ridge. There was a constant call and singing of several male Snow Bunting on the ridge. At one point I was eye level and just 1 metre away from a Bunting, on the steep section of scrambling.

Moss Campion 

Ciste Mhearad 

Beautiful mosses and liverworts 

Dwarf Cornel 

Later on in the day was the highlight. I found a female Ptarmigan with her 6 chicks. Absolutely beautiful. I spent over an hour at a safe distance with this wonderful group. Very heart warming considering their very low numbers over the last few years. 

Ptarmigan and Snow Bunting Photography later.

*Gary holds a SCHEDULE 1 Photography licence

No comments: