Saturday 25 June 2022

WILDLIFE PHOTOGRAPHY

 

Ptarmigan chick, Cairngorm plateau, Thurs 23 June

A selection of my photography from the last coupe of days.

On Thursday it was a glorious day. I headed onto the Cairngorm plateau in the hope of seeing and capturing some of our wonderful and precious montane animals and birds. I scrambled up the Fiacaill Coire Cas ridge. There were several male snow bunting calling away on the ridge. fabulous. Unfortunately my camera was in the bag! On the plateau I did spot a juvenile snow bunting. Not has colourful but equally special.

Juvenile Snow Bunting

I was on the search for the beautiful Dotterel. Unfortunately none see all day. Also on my radar was ptarmigan. It took me over 4 hours of searching before I finally got to see an hen ptarmigan with her 6 chicks. Brilliant!

Hen ptarmigan

Elegant in the sun
What camouflage!
I just sat at a safe distance as I tried to spot the chicks which were all separated. Eventually one popped up and just stood posing for a while. All images are cropped.




Coire an Lochain 

Some images from another lovely day on Friday. The Monadhliath's lower regions looking splendid with an array of beautiful flora and fauna.

Heath Spotted Orchid

Thyme

Busy bee

Another beautiful sound in the hills is that of the Golden Plover. A constant call across the hillside is no finer sound on a late Spring/early summer day.

Golden Plover



Hatched Golden Plover

A few more of the abundant colours on the hill.

Bog Cotton

Speedwell

Bell Heather

Shield bug 

Fox glove

Bog Cotton amongst sphagnum moss


No comments: