Wednesday 6 January 2021

FULL SNOW COVER, FULL SUNSHINE

 

More snow falling over much of the Highlands and low temperatures even at glen level. It's shaping up to be a bumper snow season with no let up in snow falls. A few more cm's of snow overnight here in Aviemore. A big high pressure has been sat across Scotland for many days now with the West coast mountains seeing the lion share of sunshine. More on that later. Today the winds shifted to give the East Highlands a stunningly clear day with wall to wall sunshine.


If you are thinking of venturing onto the high Cairngorms it will be very hard work on foot. Lots of ski tourers up that way last few days enjoying the deep powder. Snow shoes would be highly beneficial. Today I walked from my house and onto the Monadhliath to my usual place for photographing the Mountain Hare. 




I was grateful for a well trodden and well skied track up this morning. Not that I was in any hurry. It was a spectacular sunrise and time to linger and enjoy. I had the hill to myself. Just the odd couple of folk in the distance and later on in the day. 
Because of the very deep snow cover on the higher ground there were no hares around in the usual place, the snow far too deep for the hares to dig down for their food source of heather and vegetation. 





I therefore headed down the hill to where the hares would be around the thick heather and less snow to di in. I had to seek out a new location. Relitively easy with hare prints in the fresh, soft snow a giveaway. I found a few delightful hares quite easily and spent the final hour in late afternoon sun with these wonderful guys. As I approached the Mountain Hares I kept sinking into the soft snow and peat hags,  making a fair bit of noise in my comical walking. The hares didn't seem particularly bothered. In fact I wonder if they found it utterly amusing!






Dusk was falling and gorgeous light on the way back down the mountain. A stunning end to a perfect day.







No comments: