Sunday 10 January 2021

ICE AND DEEP SNOW - A FABULOUS WEEK

 


Despite the latest 'restricted access' the last week has been a fabulous time in the hills. As you know I refuse to call it the 'L' word. We are not at war and we are definitely not being locked away in our homes. Everyone has a right to be out excercising and there is no time limit, which was also the case back in Spring. 

Before restrictions kicked in last week I had a fabulous overnight away in the Northwest Highlands.  More of that later. 

We've been enjoying some superb cold, dry and sometimes sunny weather. Light winds or no winds on the mountains for a week now, until yesterday when the weather changed slightly.

On Friday I had a wander into the beautiful Abernethy Forest in search of Red Squirrel. Our second most adorable creatures (after the Mountain Hare) that call The Cairngorms their home. I have photographed these beauties many times in the Spring/Summer and Autumn months but wanted to get some nice winter shots of them while there was snow on the trees and ground. I soon came across a delightful individual who posed nicely for me for over 30 minutes.




I walked further into the forest and then, later on,  up the ski road towards the Cairngorms. Just walking amongst the snow covered trees was pure delight. Plenty of ski tourers heading up toward the hills. Once out of any well trampled or skied tracks it is hard going in deep snow. I walked towards the Ciste Coire carpark and managed to get onto the top of the Ciste Crag which took double the normal time. I called it a day at this point! Knee deep continuous ploughing is not much fun! I had hoped to spot and photograph Ptarmigan but none seen at this low altitude. Great views and no wind. A very cold minus 7 C on the high tops was forecast today. 







There must be something very aesthetically pleasing about snow covered trees. I took a lot of photos of them all the way up and back down! From above the tree line you get grand views of Meall a Bhuachaille and Strathspey. Looking down on Loch Morlich it looked to be well frozen. The constant low temperatures at low altitudes this week have frozen up many bodies of water throughout the Highlands and indeed in the lowlands too.





Before my walk back home along the Logging Way trail I investigated the ice on Loch Morlich. There were a few skiers, walkers and kids with their parents which was great to see. Young and old having fun in this risk adverse society. There was even a biker or two travelling over the ice. Beautiful sunset on my slowbimble over the loch, watching the sunset unfold.



The final 5 miles through the pines was just magical. A beautiful crimson sky above snow laden Caledonian Pines. My surroundings so white and bright with the snow that a torch was not required for the last hour in the darkness towards home. Bliss and a fine end to a brilliant day.





No comments: