Saturday 2 January 2021

NEW YEAR AND A LOTTA SNOW!

 


Happy New Year!

We've had  steady, constant snowfall here in Aviemore and on the hills since Christmas time. No real high winds on the hills but constant low temperatures. This has deposited a huge amount of snow even down to modest altitudes. I took a wander up into the Cairngorms to see (and feel!) What it was like.

I didn't need any deep thought processes to know that it was going to be a lot of deep snow on the hills. I took the snowshoes out to make life easier. The snow gates at Glenmore have been closed since Christmas Day so you need to be prepared to walk up the ski road to get into the Northern side of the Cairngorms. Whenever the gates are closed you can bank on less that 80% of normal numbers of folk on the hill so I knew it would be quiet.



The old section of the ski road, just past the Sugar Bowl carpark  bend, is a good shortcut up and here it was very snowy underfoot. The Cas Carpark was devoid of any vehicles. The cloud was down at this altitude and that was the case for the rest of the day. Initially I was intending to head over to Lurchers Ridge and gain the plateau. After 10 minutes of hard graft even with the snowshoes I gave up on this. So I took a direct route from here up to the Chais ridge. It probably took 3 times longer than in summer. Deep, deep snow. I saw no one all the way up to the 1141m cairn.

It was poor visibility all the way, just the struggling trees and the snow tow to my left. After that not much else. From 1141m to Cairn Gorm summit the going got easier underfoot and my speed went up! It was true white out conditions all the way. There was steady, light snowfall from mid day onwards.


Finally after 4 hours from Glenmore I reached Cairn Gorm. Usually even in a bad winter visibility day I would rarely have to use map and compass to get to Cairn Gorm. Today they were used a fair bit more. I also use GPS. For anyone who doesn't know me this means Gary's Positioning Sytem- ie using my brain cells, reading the landscape and contours plus prior familiar knowledge too. 



At the summit I met the first people of the day, ski tourers. The descent from the top to the Ptarmigan cafe was even worse visibility until just the top 50cm or less of the guiding markers on the tourist path could be seen  half way down the slope.  There were still a few ski tourers heading up in the gathering gloom and cloud as I walked down the Coire. No sweeping landscape photography today! 





Last Wednesday I went to photograph the stunning and unique Crested Tits in the Caledonian Pines. I supported our local businesses by using the fabulous Neil McIntyre's wee hideaway hide tucked into the forest. Great spot. I stayed for nearly 5 hours surrounded by these instantly recognisable birds. It was very atmospheric with constant snow showers and very peaceful on my own. Highly recommended if you want to guarantee to see and capture these lovely birds.





No comments: