Monday 25 January 2021

SUBLIME WINTER CONDITIONS

 

Mountain Hare portrait
Like any craft or profession, it takes time, commitment and hard work to perfect and learn. Wildlife photography is no exception. Over the last 3 days I have been out amongst my local Mountain Hares just a couple of hours walk from my front door. With 3 days of light or no wind, virtually wall to wall sunshine and deep snow cover the conditions could not get any better. I am pleased with my results. What beautiful creatures and I will never tire of seeing and photgraphing them.

FRIDAY 22 JANUARY

Sunlight and deep snow cover
On Friday I set out with a forecast of snow showers with some sunshine in the afternoon. I was hoping to get some shots of fresh snow lying on the hares and looking 'wintry'. I set myself up at one of my favourite spots as a 20 minute snow shower came through. I wouldnt say this particular hare was plastered in snow but some nice effects.

After a flurry of snow

Time for a stretch and yawn
The snow showers didnt last, only one! Then by late morning it was beautiful clear skies and bright sunshine. Quite different to the big Cairngorm mountains on the other side of the Strath. This is quite normal. The Highlands have micro climates everywhere. The most obvious differences are to do with higher mountain areas of course.
Deep snow and sunshine

Drifts and low altitudes

The hares were looking superb in the beautiful light. One particular hare was very obliging and I spent most of the day with this wee guy. He was not at all interested in me close by whilst he shook off the snow, yawned, stretched, had a few nibbles of heather and went back to dozing in the beautiful sunshine.

Nothing like a good stretch

getting cosy again

Having a bite to eat

It is amazing how absorbing and peaceful wildlife watching can be. Time also just flies by! I had a wander around for a bit to leave my kind model in peace for a while. In the area where I now photograph there are about 6-8 hares withing a small distance and I have very quickly found most of their forms. It's like map reading and micro navigation, using features and landmarks in a featureless landscape. :)

The magnificent surroundings

.
Can he/she see me yet?


Final hour or so was spent with my morning friend, still sitting and waiting petiently before a few more moves and stretches. Brilliant.



last rays of sun




Enjoying the warmth

Sundown

Been nibbling?

A fine, healthy hare

Final Portrait

SATURDAY 23 JANUARY

Back again. Wall to wall sunshine today for my short walk up onto the Monadhliath from the house. 

My 'trench' I created from yesterday made travelling far easier, no sinking up to the knnes and a quieter approach to the hares!

If only I could travel so fast in soft snow

Another sun kissed snow day

Beautiful end to the day


No comments: