Tuesday 13 May 2014

IN SEARCH OF THE DOTTEREL

Rock
Sun
Dotterel
Clouds
Hail
Beautiful

 
A good forecast so off on the Cairngorm plateau in search of one of the many special species of bird that the Cairngorms has in quite large numbers, The Dotterel. There are a number of sites I know well where this plover like bird can be found and this also makes a great walk with fab scenery! The northerly airflow gave some lovely clarity of air today but there were a number of hefty hail showers through out the day. A big contrast in temperatures and when the sun did come out it was glorious. After several hours of roaming around the plateau I hadn't seen any of these elusive birds. I reached my final location before heading down and yet another big hail shower came in and I thought my chances  were now scuppered as the hail bounced off the ground. Then there they were, 3 pairs of them scurrying around trying to find a bit of shelter, just like me :) . Great day!

No comments: