Tuesday 12 February 2013

FUAR THOLL, A GORGEOUS DAY

Mainnreachan Buttress of Fuar Tholl
One of many easy gully routes on the mountain
The very pleasant sun and blue skies in the afternoon
Beinn Liath Mhor & Loch Coire Lair
Coire Lair & Sgorr Ruadh

I'd almost forgotten what it was like to sit in the sun on a mountain and gazing across snowy mountains with no winds and enjoying the views-until today! I headed North and West, catching the wonderful Kyle line train and jumping off at Achnashellach- one of the tiniest stations in the UK and a perfect starting point to head into that most wonderful of mountain areas, between Strath Carron and Torridon. Spoiled for choice between Beinn Liath Mhor, Sgurr Ruadh and Fuar Tholl I decided on the two later hills. It was milder than of late which as helped the snow pack consolidate and as I headed up beside The Mainnrichean Buttress I found superb neve in one of the gullies. The hazy skies cleared by early afternoon and blue skies. Shame we are in for another wild and snowy day tomorrow, just as I could get used to a settled spell!




No comments: