Saturday 24 October 2020

AUTUMN IN THE GLEN, WINTER UP HIGH


 This time of year is magical. Beautiful Autumn colours at their very best while up on the high tops of the mountains it can be winter. Just like today. This week the colours will be at their very best. I was out to get them before the gales come along and shred the leaves off the trees. I mixed this with more Mountain Hare photography. Just like the weather and seasons, the Mountain Hare are in transformation. They already have signs of morphing into their Winter pelage, the white showing thorough quite clearly now.


The day started very wet and low cloud. I delayed setting off up the Monadhliath until late morning when the weather was forecast to dry up and some sunshine. By noon the rain eased off and the cloud was lifting. By the time I got up to my usual location for photographing the wonderful Mountain Hare it was dry and some nice light. This improved hour by hour until mid afternoon when the light was gorgeous.


I had 4 layers on today whilst stood around photographing. I can't imagine how some folk who head out into the hills this time of year with next to nothing in their rucsack. It's time to think about what to pack when out in the hill. The highest I stood at today was 750m. You may also want to think about those batteries in your headtorch. You mean you haven't been carrying one? Some good advice out from Mountain Rescue Teams and Mountaineering Scotland. Clocks go back tonight. It gets dark at 6pm.


It was lovely to see and hear so many Red Grouse on the hill. Peaceful and roaming freely with no shooting around this area. I soon came across my usual friend and one or tow of his pals. By mid afternoon the hares are more interested in feeding up. One guy having a good old munch for quite some time. 





After an hour or so of photographing in beautiful Autumn sunshine and light, a big snow shower passed through. I was only at 700m so the temperatures had dropped somewaht since this morning. Of course this is nothing for the hardy hares. He just carried on feeding away like it was no big deal. Meanwhile I struggled in the gusty breeze and was getting cold hands trying to steady the camera. I swapped my small, wet gloves for something bigger and warmer. The sun came out again straight after the downpour and more gorgeous light. 



By now it was late afternoon and beautiful time to be out in the hills. The sun was at a low angle on my walk back down the hill. I just missed the 'golden hour' for the foliage on the trees back at lower levels. Optimum time around 4 pm I would say. Still, it was beautiful, always is. The winds over the next few days will take some leaves out. I think we are past the best time now. Winter is coming!






No comments: