Tuesday 20 October 2020

PTARMIGAN PHOTOGRAPHY

 



I got out in between bands of rain today. The wet spell in the morning had fizzled out by lunch time. The low cloud gradually lifted to give an hour or so of some lovely cloud formations and some sunshine. Just enough time to walk up to the Cairngorm plateau and a couple of hours photographing the Ptarmigan. 







Through the swirling clouds I got a glimpse of a group of 6 Ptarmigan. I waited for 30 minutes, stood motionless while the cloud eventually lifted enough for some half decent shots. Two youngsters were happy sitting around while I hung around with my camera. They're not far off from the complete white plumage. Maybe another couple of weeks.




The temperatures where quite mild today in the SW airflow. Atlantic lows blowing through. By early evening the next band of rain arrived but I was off the hill by this time. Perfect wee few hours. It's great to live so close to amazing wildlife, even though they are high up on the hill. The beauty of living at the foot of the Cairngorms. 








No comments: