Sunday 18 October 2020

LAST OF THE HIGH PRESSURE

 


Last day of the High pressure system we've been enjoying over the last few days. Unfortunately I have missed the temperature inversions on Friday and Saturday. If you were up on the very highest Cairngorm summits then there were some terrific inversions, fog bows and Brocken Spectres. Saturday in particular was a strange one. The best conditions up high whilst down in Aviemore and out towards Dava Moor we got soaking wet with light rain most of the day.


It was another low cloud morning in Strathspey but the cloud was thin and I could already feel the sun breaking through this band of cloud. I was undecided whether to head up high to the main Cairngorms or to the other side of the A9 and the lower Monadhliath. I went for the latter.


By the time I walked up to 400m I was into sunshine and blue skies above. My usual route up to photograph the Mountain Hare was once again going to be my day out. I was soon amongst the most adorable of wildlife in the hills.




I had an hour or so sitting beside one individual who was half dozing and half curious. He eventually woke up for a stretch and starting pulling tongues! Brilliant. What characters. 


The cloud broke up at mid day but then drifted back again in the afternoon. The view across Strathspey to the Northern Cairngorms was one of dull but high cloud base.



Rain by this evening. Atlantic Low pressure systems back in charge for most of this week. Let's hope the winds don't bring too many of the beautiful Autumn leaves. They'll be in full Autumn colours this week.





No comments: